Join us for an early winter climb of Mt Hood. When safe, the pre-season can offer a fresh experience for adepts on this peak. Grab a second tool and hone your steel crampons for a challenge!
- Lead belay and rappel
- Confident on 40° snow with exposure
- Optimism to motivate your teammates and keep them safe
- Fitness to walk with only cursory breaks, ~1000' / hour
While friendly in spring, the southside routes can have ice steps and crevasse potential, needing rope proficiency. To apply you must have:
- Prior alpine rock or ice summit, as second or lead
- Prior mountain summit with glacier travel
Please detail experience in profile. Note especially if you have a gym lead belay card, or graduation from ICS, Mountaineers Basic, or AAI Alpinism II. As a winter climb, expect darkness, continuous high wind, cold and potential need for double boots.
If skies are sunny, bring one item to share for a Hogsback or summit picnic. 🔆 Summiting needs cold weather and quality snow/ice cover.
Apply now, and we'll mutually confirm in future when a date is finalized. Then you'll be accepted and fee processed. For now, hoping for Nov 23 or 24: next likely weekend is Dec 14-15.