The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
This page contains information on refunds, cancellations, and a variety of other policies. Some refund policies are event specific, and in that instance, the refund policy would have been presented to you prior to signing up for the activity. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mazama Activity Rules
If you do not want to adhere to these rules, do not plan to participate in Mazama activities.
- Harassment will not be tolerated on Mazama activities. All participants and leaders are expected to conduct themselves appropriately. See additional information on harassment below.
- In case of an accident, illness, or other incapacity, participants are expected to pay their own medical or evacuation expenses whether or not they specifically authorized them. Note that all Mazama members have rescue insurance below 6000 meters worldwide.
- Using substances (including medication) that impair judgement is prohibited on Mazama activities.
- Alcohol and firearms are not permitted on Mazama activities (no exceptions). The activity begins and ends at the car, not upon returning to a high camp.
- Pets are not allowed on Mazama activities, unless they are specifically noted as "dog" activities.
- Media devices may be brought along but earbuds or headphones must be used and NO media device can be used while hiking or climbing.
- Participants shall practice leave not trace ethics.
- Relates only to Climbing Activities: Participants 14 years of age or under must be accompanied on the activity by an adult responsible for them, who shall be required to remain with or descend with them. On climbs not scheduled as Family Climbs, neither the leader nor the assistant leader of any climb shall be the responsible adult for a climber 14 years of age or younger. If the responsible adult descends, all climbers for whom he/she is responsible shall be required to descend as well.
The Mazamas does not condone or tolerate harassment in connection with any of its programs or activities. The Mazamas is committed to maintaining an environment of respect for its members and everyone who participate in our activities, free of harassment of any kind including harassment based on sex, race, national origin, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or other factors, which do not affect the safety of the participants in Mazamas activities.
This policy applies to actions by any member or participant toward another, including in the capacity of a leader, instructor, volunteer, employee, or officer. Anyone who believes he or she has experienced harassment should report the conduct to the Mazama staff (use reporting form link).
Persons who violate this policy may be denied the opportunity to participate in Mazama activities and/or may have their membership status restricted or terminated.
Reporting an Incident
If you have had an issue with problem behavior, harassment, or assault in a Mazama activity, please report the incident. We are committed to responding to all reports within a one week period. If an investigation is warranted, we will work to ensure it is as thorough and swift as possible.
- If you are accepted on an activity (refers to a climb, hike, activity, backpack, snowshoe) and then make the decision to cancel, there is NO REFUND.
- If you are accepted on an activity and the activity is canceled, there will be a full refund.
- If are accepted on an activity that is changed to a different objective you have the option for a refund if you choose to not participate in the new objective. (Examples include: Applying for a Mt. Hood climb that is changed to a Mt. Jefferson climb. Applying for a Yocum Ridge hike that is changed to a Elk-Kings Hike.)
- Cancellations due to medical reasons may receive a refund based on a case by case basis. Any medical refund would require a doctor's note. Requests for refunds based on illness must be requested within a week of the activity start date.
Education Program Refund Policy
- Cancellations received at least 14 days in advance of the class may request a refund less a $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Cancellations received less than 14 days and greater than 7 in advance of class may request a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received less than 7 days in advance, no shows, or withdrawals after the class begins will not be issued a refund
- Cancellations due to medical issues will be considered on a case by case basis and will require a doctor’s notification to be considered.