The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
The Mazamas have a 100+ year legacy of mountaineering and outdoor advocacy. If you love to play in the mountains, inspire the next generation to get outdoors, and support research, expedition, and conservation efforts then you should become a part of that legacy. You must have summitted a glaciated peak prior to joining the Mazamas. If you haven’t done that yet, then we can help you!
By joining the Mazamas you are adding your voice to a collective group advocating for the protection of outdoor spaces. You are joining a group that is working to create one of the best outdoor education programs in the country, actively building a robust youth & outreach program, and creating activity programs to get all types of individuals out into the mountains.
- Be a part of one of the most respected mountaineering organizations in the country
- Receive free rescue insurance anywhere in the world below 6,000 meters up to $5,000 (up to $10,000 if you have a joint membership with the AAC))
- Contribute towards Conservation, Expedition, and Scientific Research Grants
- Discounted rates on Mazama activities
- Discounts at local outdoor retailers and gyms (see below for details)
- Receive the monthly Bulletin
- Receive the Mazama Annual
- Discounted rate on an American Alpine Club (AAC) membership*
- Meet new friends who share your love of the outdoors
- Volunteer with the Mazamas
- Gain full access to the world-class 5,000-volume Mazamas mountaineering library and archives collection
*When you join/renew your Mazama membership you will receive a code via email to use on the AAC's website to join/renew the AAC at the discounted rate. This code will be sent via your Mazama membership confirmation email. This allows you to directly manage your AAC membership on the AAC site and ensures you receive your benefits in a timeiy manner.
Mazama members receive discounts at many of our local outdoor shops. Proof of membership, either by showing your membership status by logging in to your account on your smartphone or by presenting your membership sticker are required at most establishments. Online discounts require a discount code; as a member you will be provided with these discount codes via our regular weekly e-news communications.
Discounts for members are available at:
- Discounted American Alpine Club membership—only $55! When you join or renew your membership you will receive an email with a code you can use to join or renew your AAC membership at the reduced rate.
- CAMP USA: Get an extra 25% off anything in the CAMP USA outlet store.
- Cotopaxi Get 20% off products on the Cotopaxi website. Discount for online purchases only.
- Evolution Healthcare & Fitness Discount: 10% off altitude training. Climb & hike leaders receive a 50% discount.
- Gaia GPS Mazama members can upgrade to one year of Gaia Premium for free (only valid one time).
- Icebreaker Portland Retail Store Discount: 15% off all regularly prices items in April and May.
- Mountain Hardwear Portland Retail Store Discount: 20% off all regularly priced items. Must show proof of membership.
- Mountaineers Books Discount: 20% off all regularly priced items.
- Next Adventure Portland Retail Store Discount: 10% off all regularly priced items. Must show proof of membership.
- Oregon Mountain Community Discount: 10% off all regularly priced items. Must show proof of membership.
- Patagonia Portland Portland Retail Store Discount: 20% off all full price purchases. Exclusions include outside vendor products, Worn Wear, and Sale product. Discount is limited to in-store product. Must show proof of membership.
- Portland Rock Gym Discount: 10% off all regularly priced memberships. Must show proof of membership.
- Portland State Outdoor Program Equipment Rental Center Discount: Mazamas are eligible for student pricing, which is 50% or more off of general public pricing. Must show proof of membership.
- Prana Portland Retail Store Discount: 15% off all regularly priced items. Must show proof of membership.
- Redpoint Climber’s Supply Terrebonne, OR (Smith Rock) phone 1-800-923-6207 Discount: 10% off all regularly priced items. Must show proof of membership.
- Rock & Ice Magazine Save 40% on an annual subscription.
- Sharp End Books Discount: 20% off all items online and at the MMC.
- Skyhook Fitness Discount: 10% off. Must show proof of membership.
- Tag Your Gear Discount: 15% off online.
- The Mountain Shop Discount: 10% off all regularly priced items to members, 15% off for all leaders and instructors as well as students in Mazama classes. Mazamas also receive 30% off all rentals. Must show proof of membership, or proof of class participation.
- Thunderbolt Sportswear Members get 20% of anything on our online store.
- Trail Butter Discount: 20% off all items online and at the MMC.
- US Outdoor Store Discount: 10% off all regularly priced items. Must show proof of membership.
- Vargo Discount: 25% off all items online.
Regular members include anyone who doesn't fall into the other categories below and encompasses the largest group of membership. Over 18, non-students, living in Oregon or Washington.
Members living outside Oregon or Washington receive a reduced membership rate.
A member under the age of 18 pays half of the regular membership rate. Youth members whose parents are also members will not receive publications.
Receive all the normal member benefits, except only one copy of publications are mailed to the household. Note that domestic partners or “significant others” also get the spouse rate.
Full time enrolled students over the age of 18 may join at half the regular membership fee. You are required to submit a copy of your student ID when you join and each year when you renew your membership.
Over 60 years AND a member for more than 5 years pays half the regular membership rate. It is required that you include your birthdate on your profile in order to receive this rate.
Mazamas who have been members for more than 50 years, or who pay an amount equal to 25 times the current annual dues are eligible for life membership. Life members pay no dues. To arrange a life membership, please email us.