August 24, 2021
Masks Required Outdoors
Kate Brown has issued new requirements for masks starting August 27. Masks are now required outdoors when individuals from different households cannot maintain physical distance. This does not apply to brief encounters such as passing people on a trail.
Vaccine Requirement for INDOOR programming
Cases of COVID-19 in our area continue to climb and our medical services are being significantly stressed. As we restart indoor programming at the Mazamas, we want to ensure we act as good community members and in line with Mazama values to limit the spread of COVID-19.
To this end, and in conjunction with the FDA approval of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, we are instituting a policy that anyone age 12 or older must be vaccinated for COVID-19 to participate in INDOOR programming at the Mazamas or Mazama Lodge.
MMC Sign In & COVID Symptom Reporting
Everyone who enters the MMC must sign in. If you experience COVID symptoms within 72 hours after being at the MMC, complete our COVID exposure form.
August 10, 2021
The Delta Variant continues to pickup steam in Multnomah County. We are adapting our policies accordingly. Recent updates (click here for our full policies as of August 10, 2021):
- Any individuals experiencing any of the following symptoms should not enter the MMC or participate in a Mazama activity: coughing, sneezing, fever, fever or chills, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea. If you are feeling even slightly unwell, DO NOT participate in a Mazama activity.
- If a vaccinated individual TESTS positive for COVID-19, they cannot participate in in-person Mazama activities/events/classes until 10 days have passed since symptoms have resolved.
- If a non-vaccinated individual is EXPOSED to COVID-19, they cannot participate in in-person Mazama activities/events/classes until they have either tested negative between 3–5 days after the exposure or for 14 days after the exposure if they decide not to get tested.
- All participants, regardless of vaccination status, are encouraged to keep space between themselves and others, and to limit any physical contact such as handshakes or hugs.
- We discourage the sharing of tents by participants who do not share a household.
- MASKS INDOORS: All individuals 5 and older must wear a mask when indoors. If you do not have a mask, one will be provided for you. Individuals who refuse to wear a mask will be asked to leave the building.
July 27, 2021
Due to the rise of the Delta variant, Multnomah County's recommendation to mask indoors, and the changes to the CDC's guidance, the Mazamas are shifting our policies accordingly. Please see below for the main changes.
- Masks are REQUIRED for everyone age 5 and older indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- Individuals are encouraged to continue to maintain physical distance both indoors and outdoors and to limit any physical contact, such as handshakes or hugs.
- Masks are not required outdoors, except in youth programs and in programs where participants must work closely together for extended periods of time.
- Anyone experiencing any of the following symptoms should not enter the MMC or participate in a Mazama activity: coughing, sneezing, fever, fever or chills, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
See the full policy document using the link above.
Updates July 9, 2021:
- Vaccinated individuals are NOT required to wear a mask indoors.
- Unvaccinated individuals are REQUIRED to wear a mask indoors.
- Outdoors: Unvaccinated individuals should strive to maintain 6-feet of distance from others.
- If an activity leader or staff member asks you to wear a mask you must comply or leave the activity.
- Mazama Lodge has reopened. Reservations are required and may be made at mazamas.org/mazamalodge
June 1, 2021
- We are currently evaluating indoor mask requirements. We are required to confirm vaccine status in order to allow unmasked individuals indoors (MMC & Lodge). Look for more information in the next two weeks.
- Fully vaccinated individuals (defined as 14 days after your second dosage of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or 14 days after your single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) DO NOT need to wear a face covering OUTDOORS in certain situations.
- Increase in the number of people allowed in activities/programs.
- Changes to recommendations regarding shared equipment for vaccinated individuals
May 18, 2021
- Fully vaccinated individuals (defined as 14 days after your second dosage of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or 14 days after your single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine ) DO NOT need to wear a face covering OUTDOORS.
- Increase in the number of people allowed in activities/programs.
- Elimination of the COVID-captain role.
- Elimination of temperature check upon entering the MMC; participants are required to self-screen for symptoms prior to entry.
May 5, 2021
Multnomah County moves back from Extreme Risk back to High Risk on May 7. Starting on May 7, the MMC will be in use again for pre-scheduling, small group activities.
April 29, 2021
Multnomah County moves back into Extreme Risk from April 30–May 6 and this designation may be extended for up to three weeks. Until we move back into High Risk or lower the MMC will be closed to all activities.
March 29, 2021COVID Overview_3_29_2021PDF Document | 482.7 KB
A few updates to our COVID protocols are below. We also have a new PDF COVID Protocols OVERVIEW you can download.
Vaccinations: At this time we are not changing any protocols based on vaccinations.
Carpooling: Mazama activities begin and end at the trailhead. It is up to the activity participants how they choose to travel to and from the activity. Organizationally, we do not recommend carpooling for non-vaccinated individuals who do not share a household.
The MMC is scheduled with pre-arranged classes for limited groups; the maximum number of people (including COVID captains and instructors) is 15.
There is a limited reopening plan in the works for Mazama Lodge with a target date of April 15. Keep an eye on mazamas.org/mazamalodge for more information.
March 3, 2021
As the vaccinations continue and cases of COVID-19 decline, we are working on our tentative reopening plans.
Advanced Rock Clinics: The Advanced Rock team is operating several clinics this spring and summer. There is a Crack Clinic that opens tomorrow (March 4) for registration and more to come.
AIARE Level I: We are offering two AIARE Level I classes being offered with Kaf Adventures in April. Details: https://mazamas.org/aiare/
Backcountry Skiing: The Backcountry Skiing class went virtual this year and kicks off tonight! (March 3) We are excited to offer this course in a virtual format and look forward to seeing how it goes.
BCEP: BCEP applications are being reviewed and acceptances will be emailed on March 5. The program will run in small cohorts, 6 students with 4 instructors, from March 29 through May 22. BCEP will operate in a hybrid format with virtual lectures and in-person field sessions which primarily take place outdoors.
Canyoneering: The Canyoneering Team is planning to operate the Canyoneering program this summer, however the time period will be shifted from late spring/early summer, to late summer/early fall.
Climbing Season: We are hoping to operate a number of climbs this spring/summer season. We expect climb season to open a little bit later than the typical April 15. We will keep you updated as we get closer to that date. Keep an eye on https://mazamas.org/climbing/ for more details and upcoming climbs.
First Aid/CPR: The First Aid team is hosting three WFA Hybrid WFA courses in March and one fully online course. There is a Hike Leader First Aid course in March and April, and there are several CPR courses scheduled.
Hiking: Our hikes are limited but they are happening! If you are a hiker, keep an eye on https://mazamas.org/hiking/ for upcoming hikes. We hope that once vaccinations really pick up that we will be able to bring back the Street Rambles.
Mazama Lodge: We are working on a Lodge reopening plan, with a tentative reopen date in early April. This modified plan will include room rentals as opposed to individual bunk rentals, with a set number of people that can occupy each room. The kitchen will remain closed and there will be no food service. Keep an eye on mazamas.org/lodge for more details.
Mazama Wild: Mazama Wild will be operating this summer for 8 full weeks. Registration launched on March 1 (https://mazamas.org/campsessions/) and we already have several weeks that are full with wait lists. We are currently looking to hire a Camp Coordinator for the summer (https://mazamas.org/joinourteam/).
RTM: There are a few challenges to operating RTM as usual this summer—COVID and trail conditions. The wind storm last Labor Day did some major damage to the Timberline Trail. But the Trail Trips team is researching options and we hope to have information for you soon.
Running Camp: We are hoping to offer the Running Camp in a limited format this year. Planning is in progress.
UES: We are hoping to offer a Used Equipment Sale later this year once we are able to gather in larger groups. Keep an eye on our website for more details.
December 4, 2020
- Activities may include up to 10 people.
- Group gear does not need to be quarantined for 48 hours post-activity.
- The MMC Is closed at least through the end of the calendar year.
November 19, 2020
Activities are limited to 6 people.
- Library appointments and curbside pickup are on pause until January 2, at which time we will reassess this option.
- Appointments and small-group classes at the MMC are on pause until at least December 14, 2020.
October 26, 2020
- The Mazama Mountaineering Center is only open for appointments and pre-scheduled class sessions.
- Mazama Lodge is closed for drop-in use, and individual reservations. It may be open for single, small-group reservations in the near future.
- Programs expected to operate in a limited capacity this fiscal year: BCEP, Canyoneering, ICS Skill Builders, WFA, CPR, Nordic, Backcountry Skiing, UES
- Planned but dependent on overnight lodging: Round the Mountain, Running Camp
- Cancelled for the fiscal year (Oct. 1, 2020–September 30, 2021): ICS, FM101, and Advanced Rock
- Street Rambles are on hiatus until further notice
July 21, 2020: Update
- Our COVID-19 policies have been updated
- Our Virtual Series is increasing and will continue through the fall/winter. Look for new & different offerings (find our virtual offerings at mazamas.org/virtualmazamas)
- Mazama Wild is in the midst of Week 5 and is operating under Oregon State camp guidelines
- Climbs & Hikes started operating again on July 15 under Mazama COVID-19 operating protocols
- Street Rambles are cancelled at least through the end of October
- The Mazama Mountaineering Center is closed until at least August 22, 2020
- Mazama Lodge is closed for the forseable future (likely at least through winter 2021)
- Canyoneering 2020 is cancelled
- Intermediate Climbing School (ICS) 2020 is cancelled
- Mountaineering First Aid (MFA) Fall 2020 is cancelled
- Hands-on CPR courses for the fall are cancelled
- Round the Mountain 2020 is cancelled
- Running Camps 2020 are cancelled
May 28, 2020
The Mazama Mountaineering Center will remain closed for the duration of Mazama Wild Summer Camps.
All programs will be operating under new policies and procedures to mitigate the risk of COVID.
- Mazama Wild Camp begins on June 15 and runs through August 14
- The application period for Mazama Climbs opens on June 15
- Mazama Climbs, Hikes, and Street Rambles can begin operating on July 15
- Mazama Committee Meetings will be held online until at least mid-August
April 13, 2020
As the season turns and the weather continues to be nice, we understand the pull to summit Mt. Hood is great. In addition to the issues we've mentioned these past weeks concerning small towns, Search and Rescue constraints, and limited hospital resources, please be cautioned that the Mt. Hood National Forest recreation sites are closed and that climbing has not been deemed an essential activity.
April 6, 2020
Mazama Lodge is closed until June 11.
Mazama climbing season has been delayed. We are projecting to begin climbs on June 1, and applications will not open until May 1 at the earliest.
We are beginning to offer online presentations and trainings. Find them here.
The Canyoneering program has been delayed. We hope to offer this program in the late summer/fall.
March 30, 2020
In order to better support staff as they work from home, the Mazama Mountaineering Center's office phone line hours have been shifted to:
Mon.—Thurs.: 10 AM–5:30 PM
Fri.: 10 AM–2 PM
March 23, 2020
Governor Brown has issued a stay at home order for Oregonians. As such, the Mazama Mountaineering Center and Mazama programs and activities are closed/cancelled indefinitely.
During these difficult times, we fully understand the desire to seek solace in the outdoors and the value of physical exertion to shed stress. However, in the interest of public health, we respectfully urge you to resist the desire and to comply with stay-at-home orders, and get exercise/outside in your neighborhood.
As members of the outdoor recreation community, we have a simple request to everyone: #stayhome #stayhealthy
In Good Faith,
Columbia Gorge Tourism Alliance
Hood River Area Trail Stewards
Hood River Crag Rats
Friends of the Columbia Gorge
The Mt. Hood Institute
Mt. Hood Skibowl
Next AdventureOregon Mountain Bike Coalition
Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue, Inc.
Portland Mountain Rescue
Ready, Set, GOrge
Timberline Lodge & Ski Area
Timberline Mountain Guides
Trailkeepers of Oregon
Volcano Rescue Team
March 22: Notice About Program/Activity Refunds & UES
We are working on processing 500+ individual refunds for programs and activities that have been cancelled as a result of COVID-19. We appreciate your patience as we work to complete these refunds. Please refer to the list below for a better idea of when your refund will be processed. All refunds are via your original credit card payment unless otherwise indicated.
- Advanced Rock: March 26 (DONE)
- Backcountry Adventure Guides AIARE 1: March 26 (DONE)
- Basic Climbing Education Program: April 1
- Hikes: March 27 (DONE)
- Mazama Wild Spring Break Camp: March 27 (DONE)
- Sport Leader: March 27 (DONE)
- Used Equipment Sale Payments: March 27 (via mailed checks)
March 17, 2020
Advanced Rock 2020 has been cancelled.
The Families Committee meeting has been moved online and will not meet in person.
The Outing Committee meeting has been cancelled.
All scheduled presentations of the We Go Up: A History of Mountaineering and the Mazamas lantern slide show have been canceled. We are working with McMenamins, the Deschutes Library, and Pittock Mansion to reschedule these presentation for future dates.
March 16, 2020
Mazama Hikes cancelled through March 29, 2020.
Street Rambles cancelled. We will post when they are up and running again.
The March 25 Evening Program: Cancelled
Mazama Lodge is CLOSED until May 1, 2020.
An Evening of Climbing and Qigong for Womxn on March 28: Cancelled
Mazama Wild Spring Break Camp: Cancelled.
March 15, 2020
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, to reduce risk to our staff and members, the Mazama Mountaineering Center (MMC) will be closed for normal day time operations until Monday, March 30. At that time, we will reassess the situation to reopen for normal business operations. While the building will be closed for normal operations, we will still be answering your calls and emails. If you don't immediately reach someone when you call, please leave a message so we can return your call.
To reduce disruption to committees' and workgroups’ ability to respond and plan through this outbreak, the MMC will be accessible to scheduled meetings after 5 pm. However, we encourage those meetings that can be rescheduled for a later date to be rescheduled or held via phone or video conference where possible.
March 13, 2020
We have cancelled the Basic Climbing Education Program (BCEP). If you were enrolled as a student when the decision to cancel the program was made, you were sent an email at 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 13 with additional details.
March 12, 2020
The Evening Travel Program scheduled for March 18, A Six Continent Rock Sampler, has been canceled.
March 11, 2020
We have made some minor adjustments to our decision matrix for our programs.
- Size of groups has been increased from 15–25
- If you carpool we recommend carpooling to and from the activity/event with the same people to limit exposure.
The link to the decision matrix will always be up to date as it is a Google Doc.
March 10, 2020
This week's Evening Travel Program, Hiking Norway's Far North, has been canceled.
March 9, 2020
The immediate impacts of the adoption of those protocols are to our Basic Climbing Education Program and our Advanced Rock program. Both of these programs are being modified to fit within acceptable risk. There will also be impacts to our large groups and gatherings, such as our Evening Travel Programs and activities at our lodge.