The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
COVID-19 PoliciesCOVID-19 Policies (Updated July 20, 2020)PDF Document | 91.5 KB
We are operating limited programing thi summer under our new COVID-19 policies. Please review the policies prior to applying or signing up for an activity.
July 21, 2020: Update
- Our COVID-19 policies have been updated
- Our Virtual Series is increasing and will continue through the fall/winter. Look for new & different offerings (find our virtual offerings at mazamas.org/virtualmazamas)
- Mazama Wild is in the midst of Week 5 and is operating under Oregon State camp guidelines
- Climbs & Hikes started operating again on July 15 under Mazama COVID-19 operating protocols
- Street Rambles are cancelled at least through the end of October
- The Mazama Mountaineering Center is closed until at least August 22, 2020
- Mazama Lodge is closed for the forseable future (likely at least through winter 2021)
- Canyoneering 2020 is cancelled
- Intermediate Climbing School (ICS) 2020 is cancelled
- Mountaineering First Aid (MFA) Fall 2020 is cancelled
- Hands-on CPR courses for the fall are cancelled
- Round the Mountain 2020 is cancelled
- Running Camps 2020 are cancelled
May 28, 2020
The Mazama Mountaineering Center will remain closed for the duration of Mazama Wild Summer Camps.
All programs will be operating under new policies and procedures to mitigate the risk of COVID.
- Mazama Wild Camp begins on June 15 and runs through August 14
- The application period for Mazama Climbs opens on June 15
- Mazama Climbs, Hikes, and Street Rambles can begin operating on July 15
- Mazama Committee Meetings will be held online until at least mid-August
April 13, 2020
As the season turns and the weather continues to be nice, we understand the pull to summit Mt. Hood is great. In addition to the issues we've mentioned these past weeks concerning small towns, Search and Rescue constraints, and limited hospital resources, please be cautioned that the Mt. Hood National Forest recreation sites are closed and that climbing has not been deemed an essential activity.
April 6, 2020
Mazama Lodge is closed until June 11.
Mazama climbing season has been delayed. We are projecting to begin climbs on June 1, and applications will not open until May 1 at the earliest.
We are beginning to offer online presentations and trainings. Find them here.
The Canyoneering program has been delayed. We hope to offer this program in the late summer/fall.
March 30, 2020
In order to better support staff as they work from home, the Mazama Mountaineering Center's office phone line hours have been shifted to:
Mon.—Thurs.: 10 AM–5:30 PM
Fri.: 10 AM–2 PM
March 23, 2020
Governor Brown has issued a stay at home order for Oregonians. As such, the Mazama Mountaineering Center and Mazama programs and activities are closed/cancelled indefinitely.
During these difficult times, we fully understand the desire to seek solace in the outdoors and the value of physical exertion to shed stress. However, in the interest of public health, we respectfully urge you to resist the desire and to comply with stay-at-home orders, and get exercise/outside in your neighborhood.
As members of the outdoor recreation community, we have a simple request to everyone: #stayhome #stayhealthy
In Good Faith,
Columbia Gorge Tourism Alliance
Hood River Area Trail Stewards
Hood River Crag Rats
Friends of the Columbia Gorge
The Mt. Hood Institute
Mt. Hood Skibowl
Next AdventureOregon Mountain Bike Coalition
Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue, Inc.
Portland Mountain Rescue
Ready, Set, GOrge
Timberline Lodge & Ski Area
Timberline Mountain Guides
Trailkeepers of Oregon
Volcano Rescue Team
March 22: Notice About Program/Activity Refunds & UES
We are working on processing 500+ individual refunds for programs and activities that have been cancelled as a result of COVID-19. We appreciate your patience as we work to complete these refunds. Please refer to the list below for a better idea of when your refund will be processed. All refunds are via your original credit card payment unless otherwise indicated.
- Advanced Rock: March 26 (DONE)
- Backcountry Adventure Guides AIARE 1: March 26 (DONE)
- Basic Climbing Education Program: April 1
- Hikes: March 27 (DONE)
- Mazama Wild Spring Break Camp: March 27 (DONE)
- Sport Leader: March 27 (DONE)
- Used Equipment Sale Payments: March 27 (via mailed checks)
March 17, 2020
Advanced Rock 2020 has been cancelled.
The Families Committee meeting has been moved online and will not meet in person.
The Outing Committee meeting has been cancelled.
All scheduled presentations of the We Go Up: A History of Mountaineering and the Mazamas lantern slide show have been canceled. We are working with McMenamins, the Deschutes Library, and Pittock Mansion to reschedule these presentation for future dates.
March 16, 2020
Mazama Hikes cancelled through March 29, 2020.
Street Rambles cancelled. We will post when they are up and running again.
The March 25 Evening Program: Cancelled
Mazama Lodge is CLOSED until May 1, 2020.
An Evening of Climbing and Qigong for Womxn on March 28: Cancelled
Mazama Wild Spring Break Camp: Cancelled.
March 15, 2020
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, to reduce risk to our staff and members, the Mazama Mountaineering Center (MMC) will be closed for normal day time operations until Monday, March 30. At that time, we will reassess the situation to reopen for normal business operations. While the building will be closed for normal operations, we will still be answering your calls and emails. If you don't immediately reach someone when you call, please leave a message so we can return your call.
To reduce disruption to committees' and workgroups’ ability to respond and plan through this outbreak, the MMC will be accessible to scheduled meetings after 5 pm. However, we encourage those meetings that can be rescheduled for a later date to be rescheduled or held via phone or video conference where possible.
March 13, 2020
We have cancelled the Basic Climbing Education Program (BCEP). If you were enrolled as a student when the decision to cancel the program was made, you were sent an email at 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 13 with additional details.
March 12, 2020
The Evening Travel Program scheduled for March 18, A Six Continent Rock Sampler, has been canceled.
March 11, 2020
We have made some minor adjustments to our decision matrix for our programs.
- Size of groups has been increased from 15–25
- If you carpool we recommend carpooling to and from the activity/event with the same people to limit exposure.
The link to the decision matrix will always be up to date as it is a Google Doc.
March 10, 2020
This week's Evening Travel Program, Hiking Norway's Far North, has been canceled.
March 9, 2020
The immediate impacts of the adoption of those protocols are to our Basic Climbing Education Program and our Advanced Rock program. Both of these programs are being modified to fit within acceptable risk. There will also be impacts to our large groups and gatherings, such as our Evening Travel Programs and activities at our lodge.