The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
The Mazamas regularly lead travel adventures, both foreign and domestic, that allow our members to experience other cultures, ecosystems, mountain ranges, and the natural world in a safe and affordable manner. Outings are defined as trips that last for five days or more, and may include climbs, hikes, camping, walking tours, kayaking, cycling, etc. Our travel program is commonly referred to as "Outings" and all travel opportunities are available to members and nonmembers.
As a service to our members, we are providing links to the following organizations that may also offer trips of interest at their member rates:
Want to go on an outing? Great! There are a few steps to complete your application for an upcoming outing.
- Look through the list of available outings that can be found in the Upcoming Outings Calendar on this page.
- If you find an outing you are interested in, make sure to read through the age and skills requirements.
- When you apply, you will need to fill out a profile on our website and input your credit card.
- If accepted, your credit card will be charged for the trip deposit, and we will send you an invoice for the remainder of the balance of the trip as soon as the final amount is known.
Note: As an incentive for Leaders to put in the time and effort to arrange and lead outings, the Leader and Assistant Leader costs may be paid by the participants.
Complete your Application
- Apply for the Outing by clicking on the outing and following the application process.
- Download, print, complete, and return the Medical Form
Outing Participant Payment
The initial deposit payment must be made to confirm your spot on the outing.
- Deposit: When you apply for an outing you will input your credit card. If you are accepted onto the outing, your credit card will be charged the DEPOSIT.
- Remaining Balance: Once accepted onto the outing, you will be sent an invoice for the balance of the outing. You may pay the remainder by check or credit card.
Lead an Outing
Not finding any outings list for locations that you are interested in exploring? Perhaps you would like to lead an outing to a specific locale? Certain restrictions apply, but the majority of Mazama members already qualify to be Outing Leaders. The best Outing Leaders have already been to the location that they wish to lead an outing to, and are familiar with the languages, customs, and travel companies that operate there.
Outings are divided into two categories; domestic and international. They must consist of at least five days and include some form of educational benefit for the participants. Typically, outings include activities such as hiking, backpacking, tours, rafting, kayaking, climbing, and exploration of natural environments. Outings can be oriented toward children and families, or focused on more difficult or technical objectives.