The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
We will be covering Module 5 on March 19th: Fundamentals of Rock Climbing!
The schedule for the evening is:
6:00 PM Doors Open
6:30 PM Announcements/Introductions
6:45 PM Fundamentals of Rock Climbing
7:45 PM Breakout Session
9:15 PM Clear the Building by 9:30 PM
By the end of the lecture and your rock field session, you should be able to (9th ed. FOTH pg #’s):
- Demonstrate proper hand technique and correct setup and use of belay device. MAZ, 178-187
- Demonstrate proper anchor connection with personal pro and clove hitch and belay setup for top rope or top of pitch belay. MAZ
- Demonstrate proper device setup and sequence for rappelling. p. 204-222
- Use proper body & hand position and techniques while rappelling. p. 215-221
- Demonstrate proper voice command sequences while rappelling. p. 215-221
- Provide a fireman’s belay. p.219
- Describe techniques used basic 5th class climbing (body position, lie back, mantle, etc.) p. 227-250
- Demonstrate proper technique for up and down climbing on low 5th class terrain. p. 227-250
- Identify the proper locations to connect to an anchor (shelf or power point). MAZ
- Attach to an anchor with personal pro and clove hitch. MAZ
- Tie into the end of the rope for top rope climbing. p. 157
- Use proper voice commands with a belayer in top rope climbing. MAZ
- Connect to a horizontal or vertical fixed line with a prusik. p. 161, 267-268
- Pass protection on a fixed line. MAZ + p.268
- Set up an autoblock for a rappel. p. 218-219 and 162-163
For those using the 8th edition, your page numbers are pp. 134-172, 178-184, 188-207, 210-238.
Your team leaders will provide you with information RE the breakout sessions.
Registration is Closed