The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
Join us for a mellow, 3.5 mile downhill snowshoe from Timberline Lodge to Government Camp. Expect an overall elevation drop of 2120 ft. We are supposed to have a full moon this evening - let's also hope for a clear sky! Headlamps still a must for this trip!
Transportation and Meeting Places:
3:30 PM: Meet at Gateway if you want to carpool to Government Camp for an early dinner at a local establishment (Location TBD).
6:45 PM: Be at the Summit Ski School parking lot (by the rest stop), standing tall for an equipment check.
7:13 PM: We will catch the last Mount Hood Express shuttle uphill to Timberline Lodge. Please bring $2 exact change to pay for the shuttle; driver does not make change.
RT drive from Portland is about 100 miles so suggested contribution to driver is $10.
Sno-Park pass will be required for all drivers. Plan to get this at the Govy General store in Government Camp if you do not have a season pass.
- Snowshoes (rent these at the Mountain Shop in Portland before you join the group if you do not your own)
- Traction devices for your shoes if we can't use snowshoes
- Means of strapping your snowshoes to your backpack
- Poles - we will be going downhill so these will be very helpful
- Dress in layers - it will be windy at the top where the ski slope is open, then we descend into more protected area
Registration is Closed