The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
2021 Dates TBD
The Mazamas offers running camps for runners of all ability levels with our mission to create a fun, informative, and inclusive environment that is welcoming to runners of all types.
Located at the base of Mt. Hood, at beautiful Mazama Lodge, the Mountain Running Camp: Intermediate track is intended for the runner who has a base level of comfort on mountain trails and is regularly running 10+ miles at a time on trails that include some elevation gain. Over the course of the three day camp participants will circumnavigate Mt. Hood (42 miles), while learning tips and techniques from high level runners. The camp also includes a mountain safety workshop, training plan discussions, and relaxation time.
Total participants: 9 (with 2 instructors)
Ability to run/hike for 4–5 hours at a time, and regularly running10+ miles on trails with elevation gain. You should be able to run 10+ miles on back to back days to be ready for the camp. Looking for something with a little less running? Check our our Mountain Running Camp: Intro. Looking for a bit more running? Check our our Ultra Running Camp.
- Day 1: Meet at the Mazama Mountaineering Center at 9 a.m. and travel to Mazama Lodge. Running section will include Timberline Lodge to Top Spur (appx. 14 miles), Mountain Safety Clinic
- Day 2: Running—Top Spur to Cloud Cap (appx. 14 miles), training plan discussion, movie night at Mazama Lodge
- Day 3: Running—Cloud Cap to Timberline Lodge (appx. 14 miles). You'll be back in Portland between 3–5 p.m.
$435. Includes meals (2 breakfasts, 2 dinners, snacks), transportation, lodging at Mazama lodge (bunk style accommodations), instruction
- Before 4/15- full refund, less $65 administrative fee; between
- 4/16 and 5/19- $175 refund;
- after 5/19 - We regret that we will be unable to process refunds after this time unless we can fill your spot. IF we are able to fill your spot, we can provide $165 refund.
The Mazama Lodge kitchen crew takes pride in serving food that is healthy, tasty, and accommodates special dietary needs. If you get hungry between meals we offer healthy snacks. Nobody leaves Mazama Lodge hungry!
What You'll Need to Bring
- A running hydration pack so you can carry food, water, basic layers, and other essentials on your runs.
- Your preferred snacks for the running sections.
- Sleeping bag (it can be quite warm at Mazama Lodge in the summer. You won't need a heavy sleeping bag, and some people enjoy just sleeping in a lightweight sleepsack.)
- Running clothes – include layers in case of cold/wet weather
- Running shoes
- Lounging clothes for hanging out at the lodge
- Basic items to shower
- Indoor only shoes for the lodge
- Bathing suit, if desired.
- Earplugs (Mazama Lodge is dorm style lodging, you may want to block out noise!)
USDA SPECIAL USE PERMIT INFORMATION AND NON-DISCRIMINATION STATEMENT
Mazamas Education Programs operate under a special use permit with the Mt. Hood National Forest. In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, the Mazamas is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice and TDD). The USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Mountain Running Camp: Intermediate Details
Typical dates are the last weekend in July or the first weekend in August.
Mazama Lodge at the base of Mt. Hood near Government Camp, Ore.
Mazama Lodge is a mountain lodge. It has a lovely main area with a large fireplace and couches. Sleeping quarters are bunk style, with an option to sleep outside on one of the two outdoor decks, or to pitch a tent on the property. The lodge has space to sleep 75 so it is a large space. All meals and towel service are provided.
- Running/Hydration Pack
- Sleeping Bag
- Running Clothes
- Running Shoes
- Lounging Clothes
- Shower Items
- Snacks for on the trail
- Indoor only shoes for the lodge
- Bathing suit (if desired; we may go to a lake)
Ability to run/hike for 4–6 hours by the start of camp and to do back to back moderate days on trails.
$435 (includes meals, lodging, transportation, instruction)
Before 4/15/2020 - full refund, less $60 administrative fee; between 4/16/20 and 5/19/20 - $175 refund; after 5/19/20 - We regret that we will be unable to process refunds after this time unless we can fill your spot. IF we are able to fill your spot, we can provide $175 refund.