*NOTE: August 8-13 I will be backpacking--i.e., no one to answer emails/etc. (David Rempel).
The Jack Lake area is another historic trail for backpackers and sojourners since before Mazamas. The 4-day/3-night backpack-basecamp will bring hikers within a half-mile of the east face of Three Fingered Jack. It will travel along the PCT toward Porcupine Rock for a spectacular view of the Eight Lakes Basin and the west, and on another day travel up to the Rockpile with another spectacular view (this time) to the east. As always, bring your camera, and if you like, a fishing pole. This will be approximately 20 miles of hiking based out of Waldo Lake. Elevations will range from approximately 5150 feet to 6400 feet depending on the day and activity. LINK TO AREA MAP.
The trail schedule is as follows: Day 1 (8/16): Backpack from Jack Lake Trailhead to Waldo Lake (camp) via a detour to Canyon Creek Meadow; Day 2 (8/17) hike from Waldo Lake towards Porcupine Rock & back; Day 3 (8/18) Hike from Waldo Lake to the Rockpile & back; Day 4 (8/19) Backpack out from Waldo Lake to the Jack Lake Trailhead.
Those who sign-up must commit to the whole trip (no bailing early). <br> This is a good extended/beginner backpack trip but backpackers must have thought out and planned accordingly for food/water (incl. filter), shelter/sleeping bag, clothing/footwear, medication, mosquitoes/sun, backpack, and other requirements for being out 5-days.
- As always this time of year in the Cascades, watch the weather forecasts and wildland fire threat levels.
- Plan on staying together during the hiking portion of each day--no lone rangers. The hike pace is 2.
- 7:00 a.m. at Clackamas Town Center P&R (2nd floor) is the meeting location. Plan to be there 15-20 minutes early to organize and be ready to depart at 7:00 a.m.
- Mazamas COVID-19 Protocol is in effect. Carpooling, for example, is not encouraged/expected by participants. We can discuss the protocols, carpooling, etc. further at the meeting location on 8/8. As an FYI: Those who already engage in intimate friend/family interaction with one another (i.e., no masks, social distancing, etc.) may opt to carpool.
- Those driving will need a USFS NW Forest Pass for parking. Please have a season pass or the right five days of passes with you prior to arriving at Clackamas Town Center P&R
- We will be in a wilderness area (i.e., 12 heartbeats) and so sorry, no dogs.
I will be away from my cell phone and email quite a bit over the course of the next couple of weeks. Please feel free to contact me with questions, but also know I may be unable to respond quickly. CONTACT INFO: David Rempel, Cell# 928 587-0511, email: firstname.lastname@example.org