MMC # 1 - Field Session: Belay, Rappel, Fixed Line Travel, Rope Skills
Our goal this morning is to lock down proper belay and rappel technique in a realistic environment. We’ll also cover the basics of climbing techniques, and use of prusiks on a fixed line and in self-rescue. We’ll continue to practice knots as needed. Please bring all your climbing gear including your helmet for this session.
Covid precautions – Check in at the door, take your temperature and record it, sign in, use hand sanitizer and wear your mask at all times! Access to the building will be via the back door of the building at the NW corner from the MMC parking lot.
Highest Priority: Review Videos below! Please note that the videos for knot tying and for belaying, rappelling, etc., are now located on Google Classroom either under Module 1 or Module 5.
- Top Rope Belay – Sling-shot belay from the bottom of the pitch
- Rappelling w/ Auto Block:
- Fixed Line Travel:
Read: Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills; also review Rock lecture notes in Student Handbook
- Climbing technique – balance, foot & handholds
- Belay technique: stance, direction of pull, connecting to anchors, technique, belay commands
- Fixed line ascent
- Rappelling: mechanical devices, technique, signals
Registration is Closed