The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
The plan... will require significant physical fitness.
Day 1: We'll approach, and climb Broken Top via the Green Lakes TH, then descend Broken Top, and continue up South Sister, and camp the night in the summit crater (probably on snow). There will be no moon, so it should make for great star gazing.
distance: 11.75 mi, elevation change: +7775', -2892'
Day 2: We'll descend South Sister, and exit via the Devils Lake TH.
distance: 5.6 mi, elevation change: +75', -4929'
NOTE: We'll do a car shuttle to return to retrieve our cars parked at the Green Lakes TH.
I tend towards selecting a diverse, and gender balanced team. Also, I am prioritizing recent BCEP grads (2018, and 2017), and recent ICS grads (2018).
- Physical fitness! We'll be covering a lot of terrain!
- Basic rock skills (fixed line usage, rappelling)
- 7:00 am - start hiking from Green Lakes TH
- 9:30 am - arrive at Green Lakes
- noon - arrive at Broken Top summit
- 2:00 pm - return to Green Lakes
- 4:30 pm - reach Cirque Lake junction
- 6:00 pm - reach South Sister summit
- 6:37 pm - sunset
- 8 am - break camp
- 9 am - start hiking
- 1:30 pm - return to Devils Lake TH