NOTE: This course has a sliding scale payment option, and you will see more information about that option when you move through the application process.
In this course you will learn how to place gear, objectively analyze gear placements, equalize anchor points using cordelettes, slings and ropes, where to locate your master point, and how to safely set up an anchor using SERENE and ERNEST methodologies. This course will help start your introduction into trad climbing.
We are structuring this course in two parts, (1) gear placement and (2) anchor building. Week one will start with an online lecture on gear placements, followed by a field session the following weekend. For the field session we will be dividing the groups in half, with one half going out on Saturday, the other half on Sunday, to minimize COVID exposure.
The second week will also start with an online lecture on anchor building. It will be followed by a field session that weekend (half the class on Saturday, the other half on Sunday).
Student Gear Requirements
- Double length sling
- Extra non-lockers & lockers
- Trad rack (if you want to use your own gear)
- Volunteer instructors will bring gear for students to use during the field sessions
Get a user account
User accounts cost nothing and enable you to:
- Sign up for Mazamas classes, activities, and outings
- Earn badges to shape a record of your achievements
- Become a Mazamas member, entitling you to terrific benefits, discounts, and exclusive resources
- Give back to the community through exciting volunteer opportunities