The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
Applications are due March 12, 2021
This grant is for non-Mazama members and members alike.The goal of this grant is to promote adventurous climbing and provide resources for climbers to explore and attempt challenging climbs. While trips do not need to be at the leading edge of alpinism, special consideration will be given to expeditions contributing to the sport of mountaineering and alpine climbing by attempting new routs or significant repeat ascents. Weighted consideration will be given to climbs exploring off the beaten path and lesser know mountain ranges of the world. Climbers do not have to be Mazama members to be eligible for this expedition grant.
In considering whether to grant funding, the Expedition Committee may consider the following criteria where applicable:
- Members and Nonmembers are encourage to apply.
- Uniqueness of the expedition. Has the proposed climb been previously attempted? How often and with what success?
- Significance of the expedition within the mountaineering community.
- Weighted consideration will be given to individuals or teams exploring new and unclimbed peak or routes attempting first ascents
- Will the expedition be performing any acts of goodwill or conducting scientific research?
- The location, accessibility and difficulty of the route and the style of ascent.
- Your financial needs.
- Is the Individual receiving any additional financial assistance from outside sources?
- How prepared is the group? Is their planning and research adequate?
- The individual’s history of participation and service within the Mazamas, as well as the climbing community in general.
- Click here to see an example of a successful application or an example of a climb resume
Applications date: March 12, 2021
Only online applications are accepted.
The Expedition Committee reviews all applications.
Executive Council has the final approval over grant applications.
Candidates will be notified of their grant status up to several months after the application deadline.
Successful candidates will be required to sign a liability release and a funding agreement.
If you are the recipient of a grant, grant funds are treated as income by the IRS and you will receive a 1099-MISC form for any grant over $600. The grantee is responsible for paying all applicable taxes.