The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
This is an AIARE Level 1 hybrid avalanche safety course that takes place over two days on Mt. Hood along with self-paced online learning and a 2 hour online lecture.
This course has been organized by the Mazamas, and will be directed by lead instructor Mick Pearson (founder/guide) of KAF Adventures (Seattle, WA).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Who Should Take this Course?
The AIARE 1 is for anyone, regardless of the method of backcountry travel, who wants to recreate in or near avalanche terrain. Participants may have attended some awareness classes or workshops or completed the Avalanche Rescue course, but none are a prerequisite for this course. This course is open to both Mazama members, and the general public, with an open registration first-come-first-serve basis for acceptance.
Students must be able to travel in avalanche terrain and bring appropriate equipment and know how to use it, for traveling on snow during the class. Students should also bring and use appropriate clothing/layers/gear for snow conditions and typical weather of the Pacific Northwest found on Mt. Hood. There are no other prerequisites.
Student Learning Outcomes:
At the end of the AIARE 1 course, the student should be able to:
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify avalanche terrain.
- Effectively use The AIARE Risk Management Framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Demonstrate effective companion rescue.
Class Material included:
Online course material, Student handbook, Field notebook, virtual lectures and field instruction.
Avalanche Gear Included (if needed):
For students who don't have access to avalanche safety equipment, the Mazamas will provide transceivers, shovels, and probes for the duration of the program included in the price of the course. However, it's strongly recommended that students use their own equipment (or use borrowed/rented equipment that they are considering purchasing) for this class so they can practice with that particular gear in a controlled environment. Please bring your beacon's user manual if you're unsure how it operates.
Transportation to field location, lodging and food, snowshoes, poles, touring equipment. A detailed required equipment list will be sent to all participants once they sign up.
We are not able to offer scholarships for AIARE courses this year. If a payment plan would make taking this course possible for you, please contact email@example.com to set up a schedule before you register for the course.
This course will take place in-person over 2 full field days on Mt Hood. Students will self-guide through online material (roughly 8 hours of material), before meeting their instructors online 2 days prior to the field session.
Nonmembers - $500
Members - $425
Registration opens 2/24 at 9am. This course is open to both Mazama members, and the general public, with an open registration first-come-first-serve basis for acceptance. Once you register you will be charged for the course and beholden to the cancellation policy.
This course accepts 12 students. Once we meet the course maximum, subsequent applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
Please note we have a different refund policy for AIARE courses in order to absorb the costs of using a third party(guide) service.
- Cancellations received more than 14 days in advance of the class may request a full refund less a $100 nonrefundable application fee.
- Cancellations received less than 14 days and greater than 7 in advance of class may request a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received less than 7 days in advance, no shows, or withdrawals after the class begins will not be issued a refund
- Cancellations due to medical issues will be considered on a case by case basis and will require coordination with the Mazamas office to be considered.
- If a course is cancelled after it has begun, you will be issued a pro-rated refund based on the sessions delivered and the prepaid expenses. Cancellations due to exposure to or contraction of COVID-19 will be eligible for a pro-rated refund.