The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
MFA Recert Information
The MFA Recert course is designed for folks who have taken an MFA class with the Mazamas in the past, but need to brush up on their skills or re-up their certification.
There are two ways to recertify your MFA. Both options require that your current MFA certification be no more than 1 year expired. If your MFA expired more than 1 year ago, you must retake the full course.
MFA Recert Options
Option 1: Attend a standalone MFA recert class and pass the written test with at least 80% correct. This year's December classes are currently full. The next standalone recert classes will be offered in the late spring or summer and again next December.
Option 2: Volunteer to assist with an MFA course. There are two MFA courses offered each year, one in the fall and one in the winter. You can use either course to recertify your MFA by following this procedure:
- Assist at 3 out of the 5 evening lectures.
- Demonstrate patient assessment using the PAS for one of the First Aid Committee members or designee.
- Pass the written test with at least 80% correct.
- You are HIGHLY encouraged to attend the volunteer training night (TBD).
- Make sure you have a signed volunteer agreement (mazamas.org/volunteer/)
- You will demonstrate using the PAS either at the volunteer training night or at the first lecture you attend. You will take the written test the last night you volunteer.
This option replaces the previous option of either enrolling in the 5 lectures or the weekend session to recert. This is a new policy the First Aid Committee is testing and it may be modified as needed to ensure an adequate training and learning experience.
If you would like to recert by volunteering, please email the registrar (MFAregistrar@mazamas.org) and indicate which three lectures you intend to volunteer at.
Upcoming Class Info
We offer three recert classes a year; two in the winter and one in the spring.
Low – MFA Recert Course involves attending two evening lectures.
Moderate – Recertifying by assisting with a full MFA Course involves attending and helping with three or more lectures.
For 2018-2019, the cost of the MFA Recert is $95 for members/$125 for non-members.
You must currently hold an MFA certification, or be within the one year grace period.
Ability to commit to the entire course schedule.
Insolite Pad (full body; required for patient assessment)
Knee pad (classroom has hardwood floors (optional))
Backpack with appropriate gear
Enrolling in this class involves an application process. After the application period is over, the course committee will select students and notify you if you have been accepted. This selection process usually takes one to two weeks.
Class size is limited. Acceptance priority for Mountaineering First Aid is as follows:
- Climb leaders and Climb Leadership Development candidates
- Intermediate Climbing School (ICS) students
- Other Mazamas activity leaders
- General interest, in order of date application is received
- Disclaimer: classes generally fill up fast. You may be placed onto a waitlist if the class is full.
All lectures occur at the Mazama Mountaineering Center, Holman Auditorium or a large meeting room, at 527 NE 43rd Avenue, Portland Ore.
Cancellations received at least 14 days in advance of the class may request a refund less a $50 nonrefundable application fee.
Cancellations received less than 14 days and greater than 7 in advance of class may request a 50% refund.
Cancellations received less than 7 days in advance, no shows, or withdrawals after the class begins will not be issued a refund.
Cancellations due to medical issues will be considered on a case by case basis and will require a doctor’s notification to be considered.