MFA Recert Information
This page is for people who need to recert an MFA badge that is still current or has expired within the past year. If you are taking MFA for the first time or your MFA badge expired more than a year ago, please click here.
This page is for people who need to recert an MFA badge that is still current or has expired within the past year.
MFA Badge Refresh Options:
- Take a 16 hour certified Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course and use this course to request a MFA badge refresh. The course must be completed before the one year extension of the MFA badge expiration. Mazamas offers a WFA course but any nationally certified WFA course (in-person or virtual) will suffice.
- Take a higher level of certified wilderness medicine, i.e. Wilderness First Responder 80-hour or Wilderness Medical professional course. Use this course to request a MFA badge refresh.
- Take the one-day, MFA skill builder that will be offered in November or March.
MFA Recert Courses are held offered in March and November.
Low – MFA Recert Course involves attending one online evening lecture
The cost of the MFA Recert is $85.
You must currently hold an MFA certification, or be within the one year grace period.
Ability to commit to the entire course schedule.
Internet connected computer
Enrolling in this class involves an application process. After the application period is over, the course committee will select students and notify you if you have been accepted. This selection process usually takes one to two weeks.
Class size is limited. Acceptance priority for Mountaineering First Aid is as follows:
- Climb leaders and Climb Leadership Development candidates
- Intermediate Climbing School (ICS) students
- Other Mazamas activity leaders
- General interest, in order of date application is received
- Disclaimer: classes generally fill up fast. You may be placed onto a waitlist if the class is full.
Due to COVID, this recert course is online only.
Cancellations received more than 14 days in advance of the class start may request a refund less a $50 nonrefundable application fee.
Cancellations received 14 days or less and greater than 7 in advance of class start may request a 50% refund.
Cancellations received less than 7 days in advance, no shows, or withdrawals after the class begins will not be issued a refund.
Cancellations due to medical issues will be considered on a case by case basis and will require a doctor’s notification to be considered.