Mazama Glaciated Peak Society Logo Contest Official Rules
While it’s no longer a requirement for membership, the Mazamas still want to honor those who have summited a glaciated peak. Help us design a logo for the Glaciated Peak Society (GPS).
The Contest is open to individuals, organizations, companies, and educational institutions. You do not need to be a Mazama to participate, but members are encouraged to enter a design. See below for full contest rules.
This document describes the official rules (“Official Rules”) of the Glaciated Peak Society (GPS) Logo Design Contest. The object of this contest is to design a logo for select members of the Mazamas, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that seeks to educate and inspire everyone to love and protect mountains. Information on how to enter and about the prize is part of these Official Rules. To the extent of any inconsistency, these Official Rules prevail.
- “Entry” means a logo design created by the Entrant for this Contest.
- “Entrant” means the individual or entity that offers the Entry under the terms of this Contest.
The Contest is open to individuals, organizations, companies, educational institutions, etc. and to groups associated with such entities.
Mazama Board members and staff, and their immediate families, are not eligible to enter the Contest (“Immediate Family” is defined as: spouse, domestic partner, children (natural, step-children, or adopted), parents, grandparents, grandchildren, brothers and sisters, or persons bearing the same relationship to the Board / staff member’s spouse or domestic partner).
Entrants must be of sufficient legal age and standing to enter into a contract with the Mazamas as required below.
The purpose of the contest is to design a logo for the Mazama Glaciated Peak Society (GPS). The logo will be used online, in print, and on merchandise. Flexibility is a key requirement, including the need to resize easily. Please submit designs in accordance with the design specs detailed below. The final version of the logo will need to be suitable for high quality printing. The design may also be reduced to use as a Favicon.
- Because of the requirement to register the logo as a Service Mark, Entrants should take care to ensure that their Entries are not in any way similar to existing logos or other copyrighted images.
- The logo must contain the words “Mazama” and “Glaciated Peak Society.” The logo must not contain any other text besides that required above.
- Images can be larger than, but must be no smaller than, three inches by three inches (3” x 3”).
- The Mazamas are not responsible for computer or internet technical problems.
- To recap, entry will consist of 2 files: the basic logo attached to the entry email containing the entrant’s contact information and a brief, two-sentence statement about their design.
File Formats: print ready artwork must be submitted in these formats;
- Vector files– .ai, .eps, .svg
Approved colors. Please use the following Mazama color pallets
- Mazama blue
- CMYK: 96/69/0/0
- HEX: 0a4fff
- Allowable variations
- CMYK: 0/0/0/100
- HEX: 000000
- CMYK: 40/0/80/10
- HEX: 8ae62e
- CMYK: 91/23/0/0
- HEX: 17c4ff
- CMYK: 0/50/100/0
- HEX: ff8000
- Red (use sparingly)
- PMS: 485
- CMYK: 0/100/100/0
- HEX: ff0000
Official Font Families.
- DIN 2014
- Futura PT
- Kepler Std (Standard)
Subject to the legal requirements outlined above, the winning design will be announced once service mark status has been obtained.
The winning designer will receive:
- A swag bag full of Mazama merchandise
- A full page profile in the Mazama Bulletin
And your choice of one of the following:
- A 1/4 page ad for your business/agency in three issues of the Mazama Bulletin
- Two years of free Mazama membership
- A signed copy of "Fred Beckey's 100 Favorite North American Climbs"
Judging and Selection of Winner
- The winning design will be selected by the Mazama staff and Board of Directors. Their decision will be final. No further correspondence shall be entered into.
- The Mazamas reserves the right not to select a winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
- The Mazamas reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant or Entry at its sole discretion. No correspondence shall be entered into.
- The winner will be required to sign a contract assigning all ownership of the logo to the Mazamas.
- Accepting the prize constitutes permission for the Mazamas to make public and otherwise use the winner's name, and country of residence for publicity purposes. Further personal data may be requested but is not required.
- By entering, the winning entrant agrees that their name and photograph may be used by the Mazamas for promotional purposes without further remuneration.
- No timetable is set for the announcement of a winner due to the need to confirm that the winning entry can be registered as a Service Mark.
All submitted work must be original and not based on any pre-existing design.
All Entries will become the sole property of the Mazamas and may be displayed publicly on the Mazamas websites, merchandise, and other branded content.
The winning entry will be registered by the Mazamas as a Service Mark and the Entrant agrees to transfer all right and title to the Entry to the Mazamas in accordance with the Official Rules of this Contest.
Participation constitutes the Entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules. By participating in the Contest, the Entrant is representing and warranting that he/she has read and understood, and agrees to be bound by, these rules. Including the guides and rules referred to herein, these Official Rules constitute the entire agreement between the Entrant and the Mazamas in relation to the Contest. They govern the Entrant’s participation and supersede any prior or other agreements between the Entrant and the Mazamas and relating to the Contest.
About the Mazamas
The Mazamas promotes climbing, responsible recreation, and conservation values through outdoor education, advocacy, and outreach.
- No purchase necessary.
- There will be only one prize winner for this contest.
- The prize winner is only entitled to the prize, and must sign and deliver to the Mazamas a release waiving any rights to further compensation prior to delivery of the prize to the winner. All other entries and entrants are not entitled to any compensation whatsoever.
- Winners may accept only the prize as stated in contest rules. No other substitutions allowed. Failure to comply with this provision will result in forfeiture of the prize by the winner.
- The Mazamas reserves the right to use any entries as it deems fit.
- The Mazama staff and Board of Directors reserves the right to make the final selection of the winning design at its complete discretion. The decision of the Mazama staff and Board of Directors is final and not subject to review or appeal.
- In order to claim the prize, the winning entrant must sign a release form. By claiming the prize and signing the release form, the winner releases the Mazamas, its officers and directors, from any and all claims, liabilities, and damages arising directly or indirectly out of the award and use of the prize.
- This promotion is void where prohibited by law.
- Rules are subject to change without notice. Official contest rules are available at our website at www.mazamas.org/gps
How to Enter
Initial entries must be submitted using this link. Logo entries can be originally created on computer or on paper, but all entries must be submitted in one of the computer formats listed above.
- No more than one (1) Entry may be submitted by any one Entrant.
- Entries must conform to the Submission Guidelines set out above. Entries which fail to do so will be rejected.
- The deadline for Entries is 5:00 p.m. PST on May 31, 2023.
- There is no fee to enter the Contest.
- Entrants need not be a Mazama to enter, but members are encouraged to enter.
Submit design here