Applications are due March 12, 2021
In the spirit of Fred Beckey who inspired many climbers in the Pacific Northwest and beyond, this grant is intended for Mazamas members of novice skill levels to get out and set climbing goals that will push their limits and grow as climbers. If you are ready to explore new areas, test your skills and advance to the next stage of your climbing career, then the Fred Beckey grant is here to help.
In considering whether to grant endorsement, sponsorship or expedition funding, the Expedition Committee may consider the following criteria where applicable:
- Required: Mazama Membership
- The number and percentage of Mazama members, as well as their history of participation and service within the Mazamas and the general climbing community.
- The ability of the proposed expedition to provide a meaningful and challenging experience to its members.
- The significance of the expedition within the Mazamas and the mountaineering community.
- The experience of the members of the proposed expedition.
- Is the expedition performing any acts of goodwill or conducting scientific research?
- The uniqueness of the expedition. Has the proposed expedition been previously attempted? How often and with what success?
- The location, accessibility, season, weather and difficulty of the route and the style of ascent.
- The financial needs of the expedition.
- Is the expedition receiving any financial assistance from outside sources?
- How prepared is the group? Is their planning and research adequate?
- Click here to see an example of a climb resume
Application date: March 12, 2021
Only online applications are accepted.
The Expedition Committee reviews all applications.
Executive Council has the final approval over grant applications.
Candidates will be notified of their grant status up to several months after the application deadline.
Successful candidates will be required to sign a liability release and a funding agreement.
If you are the recipient of a grant, grant funds are treated as income by the IRS and you will receive a 1099-MISC form for any grant over $600. The grantee is responsible for paying all applicable taxes.