The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
Applications are due March 12, 2021
The Mazamas have historically been leaders in exploring and climbing in the great and remote mountain ranges of the world. The purpose of the Wilson Grants is to provide annual financial support to Mazama members who are organizing and/or leading expedition climbing ventures in the high or remote mountain regions of the world. The Wilson Grants are intended to stimulate, inspire, and celebrate a renewed culture of exploratory climbing within the Mazamas and to reward our most dedicated and engaged members.
About Bob Wilson
The Bob Wilson Grants have been established by the Mazamas in recognition of Robert A. Wilson. Mr. Wilson joined the Mazamas in 1962, chaired the Mazama Expedition Committee, and through the Mazamas led a long career of climbing and expedition mountaineering including trips to Annapurna 1, Gasherbrum 1, Tirich Mir, Denali, and many other mountains. Mr. Wilson and the Mazamas wish to encourage and motivate dedicated Mazama members, volunteers and leaders to develop their expedition climbing skills and experiences. The Wilson Grants are made possible thanks to Mr. Wilson who wishes to make it possible for others to experience the joy of expedition climbing, and to promote the growth of expedition climbing at Mazamas.
Award Amount and Restrictions
A total of $10,000 is available annually, either to be given to one expedition or split up to three ways. The amount of the award shall be based on funds available, and shall be applied to direct expedition expenses. This award is for one venture only. Mazama members serving on the Selection Panel shall not be eligible to apply for the grant. If, for any reason the expedition is canceled or significantly changed, including personnel changes, awarded funds must be returned to the Mazamas in full.
- The applicant must have been a member of Mazamas for more than two years prior to applying.
- The applicant must be 21 years of age and a citizen of the United States or Canada.
- The application must be for legal ventures only and wherein the applicants are capable of obtaining all necessary visas, permits and authorities.
- The application must be for expeditions of no less than 15 days in length.
- The application cannot be for attending a commercially organized and guided trip.
- Applications must be submitted 6-18 months prior to the start of the expedition
- Click here to view an example of a successful grant application or an example of a climb resume
In consideration of the grants purpose and intent, preference will be given to applications exhibiting the following criteria:
- Applicant must meet all the requirements as stated in the application requirement section
- Applicants who display a high level of engagement with the Mazamas through volunteering, participating and/or leading with Mazamas programs.
- Expeditions to remote or less popular areas, especially wherein the party is immersed in local cultures and/or utilizes local support.
- Independently organized and supported expeditions showing financial need.
- Expeditions displaying careful research, planning, and budgeting.
- Applicants whose objectives align well with their skills and experience.
- Additional criteria as determined by the Selection Panel.