The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
Please note that we will not be awarding this grant in 2021, due to ongoing travel concerns and restrictions.
The Mazama Expedition Committee is pleased to hear of your expedition and interest in applying for a Grant. Below is a description of the application process, the evaluation criteria, and an application for this Grant.
Monty Smith was a highly accomplished mountaineer who gave greatly of his time and talents to the Mazamas from 1993 to 2010. He taught numerous courses, led dozens of climbs and served on several committees, including the Expedition Committee. Monty made climbing expeditions to Mexico, Alaska, South America, Europe and Asia. This grant is awarded to Mazama members who wish to attempt challenging climbing expeditions around the world. This is what Monty did and we encourage members to follow in his footsteps.
Our goal for this grant is to promote adventurous climbing and provide resources for Mazama climbers to explore and attempt challenging climbs and to enhance the dissemination of knowledge gained. While trips do not need to be at the leading edge of alpinism, special consideration will be given to applicants visiting unclimbed, unexplored regions, and those with historically significant objectives. We look for a history of participation and service to the Mazamas, as well as the climbing community in general, so individuals bring back skills to share.
In considering whether to grant funding, the Expedition Committee may consider the following criteria where applicable:
- Requirement: Mazama Membership
- The Individual’s history of participation and service within the Mazamas, as well as the climbing community in general.
- The ability of the proposed expedition to provide a meaningful and challenging experience.
- The significance of the expedition within the Mazamas and the mountaineering community.
- Will the expedition be performing any acts of goodwill or conducting scientific research?
- The uniqueness of the expedition. Has the proposed expedition been previously attempted? How often and with what success?
- The location, accessibility and difficulty of the route and the style of ascent.
- Your financial needs.
- Is the Individual receiving any additional financial assistance from outside sources?
- How prepared is the group? Is their planning and research adequate?
Application deadline: This grant will not be awarded in 2021. Please check back in 2022 for deadlines.
Only online applications are accepted.
The Expedition Committee reviews all applications.
Executive Council has the final approval over grant applications.
Candidates will be notified of their grant status up to several months after the application deadline.
Successful candidates will be required to sign a liability release and a funding agreement.