The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
Looking to start getting into shape after the long winter? Join Matt Reeder and AYM for the first in a series of conditioning hikes to start the busy hiking season. We'll park at the Catherine Creek Trailhead and hike up into Catherine Creek's canyon, and then up and up, heading west until we reach the Coyote Wall area. From there, we'll descend Coyote Wall to its base, then return to Catherine Creek through the Labyrinth. If we are lucky we may also spot a few grass widows, the first flower of spring that grows commonly in this area. Plan on a long and fun hike!
- Hike: 11 miles
- Elevation Gain: 2,500 feet
- Drivetime from Portland: 65 minutes (120 miles round-trip)
Please bring adequate rain gear, the 10 Essentials and lunch - we will stop somewhere along the hike. Please also keep an eye out for ticks and poison oak - both are common in this area. No dogs, please - as stated above, ticks are quite common and we will be sharing the trail with mountain bikers on occasion.
Meet at Gateway Transit Center, 8AM. Leader: Matt Reeder
Get a user account
User accounts cost nothing and enable you to:
- Sign up for Mazamas classes, activities, and outings
- Earn badges to shape a record of your achievements
- Become a Mazamas member, entitling you to terrific benefits, discounts, and exclusive resources
- Give back to the community through exciting volunteer opportunities
Complete your Profile
Apply for WaitList