The Mazamas offers a variety of classes for all ability levels. Learn new skills in mountaineering, rock climbing, first aid, ski mountaineering, and more.
- THE VIEW!: Black Crater is perched between Mt. Washington and the Three Sisters, close enough to provide a seldom seen view, especially this time of year when the air is crisp and the leaves are beginning their autumn transition.
- LEADER: David Rempel, 928 587-0511, email@example.com
- PORTLAND DEPARTURE: 7:00 a.m. from the Clackamas Town Center Transit Center. Park on the second floor, and be there 10-15 minutes early to organize and set carpools.
- TRAILHEAD DEPARTURE: 10:15 a.m. from the Black Crater Trailhead (St Hwy 242, between mp 80-81 & across from McKenzie Lava Fields).
- WEATHER: Fall weather can be unstable, please watch area weather forecasts and dress appropriately for possible weather contingencies leading into the day of the hike.
- WILDERNESS AREA HIKE: Black Crater is within the Mt. Washington-Three Sisters Wilderness Area (i.e., 12 heart beats max) and so sorry, no dogs on this hike.
- MEALS: Plan for lunch on the trail. As a group we will discuss options for stopping and eating on the way home.
- RECOMMENDED GEAR: Dress for the weather, and bring (minimum) 3 liters of water for the trail.
- TRAILHEAD PARKING PASS: Drivers parking at the trailhead will need either a NW Forest Pass or can purchase a day pass for $5.00 at the onsite kiosk.
Registration is Closed